Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A Blast from the Past: Johnathan Edwards

The first time I heard of Johnathan Edwards was at College and Career Bible Study at Kuya Erick's home. Mark P. was talking about Resolved which is a Conference and about Johnathan Edwards resolutions. I wasn't really into it much, during the time I didn't plan on going to that conference. In the sovereignty of God, He made me go and learned a little bit more of Johnathan Edwards. After a few months later, my spiritual maturity grew and I began to seek some Puritan's to study as part of my devotion. Johnathan Edwards name reappears at Shepherd's Conference and I decided to focus my Puritan study on Him.

My first reading of Johnathan Edwards is a book called "The Unwavering Resolve of Johnathan Edward" by Steve Lawson who is a great preacher and teacher of God's Word. The first thing I learn about Johnathan Edwards is his pursuit of holiness. Something that every Christian should also pursue. This study has caused me to look closely into my heart and my actions. I am not trying to idolize Pastor Edwards but I am trying to learn from his accomplishments and failures.

The book mentioned earlier organizes his 70 resolutions in these six headings:

1. Pursuing the Glory of God
2. Forsaking Sin
3. Making Proper Use of God-Allotted Time
4. Living with All His Being for the Lord
5. Pursuing Humility and Love
6. Making Frequent Self-Examination

I plan to challenge myself and anyone else who would like to partake, to use these 6 headings as building blocks for discipline towards holiness. May God be Glorified in this and praise God for all He has done for me even in this early study of Johnathan Edwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment