Sunday, May 23, 2010

Best of the Best

In the beginning of the year, I wanted to do everything I could for the Church, my friends, my family, my school, and my own hobbies to the glory of God. I became very aggressive to be a server in anyway I could. As a sinner, I failed many times. Sometimes I collapsed because I could not keep up with the work. Sometimes I ignored the work because it was to difficult. But the one thing that stopped me was just the fact that it was too much.

Jonathan Edwards 27th resolution is about omitting the things that he could not do:

27. Resolved, never to omit anything, except the omission be for the glory of God; and frequently to examine my omissions.

He knew he was a man that can only take on so much. With this resolution he wanted to choose the best of the best that he saw fit that will glorify God the most.

"There were sermons to write, parishioners to shepherd, visits to make, individuals to counsel, letters to write, prayers to offer, books to read, and much more"
From Steve Lawson's book: The Unwavering Resolve of Jonathan Edwards.

With so much he wanted to do, he just choose those he could do to the fullest, and those that will glorify God the most. One example that Steve Lawson depicted was Jonathan Edwards choice to be a missionary for the Native Americans. He was kicked out of the Church over who can partake in the Lord's Supper. After that incident he could have gone to Scotland, or another place in the colonies. But he omitted those choices and became a missionary.

The foolish boy that I am, I thought I could be the most holiest person by taking on so many tasks. I was even warned of this by my discipleship group. One of them said(paraphrased), "You don't want to be the jack of all trades, but a master of one." Just seeing this as a resolution of Jonathan Edwards, shows me how humble a man he is. The man that brought the Great Awakening, is the man who knows he can not take on everything. May this realization bring me to humbleness and be more disciplined on even the work that I choose to do to the glory of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment